Two campus journalists were allegedly assaulted and had video footage deleted from their mobile phones while covering a clash between two factions of the Bangladesh Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal (JCD) at Noakhali Science and Technology University (NSTU).
The incident reportedly took place at around 3.30am on Tuesday near Bir Muktijoddha Abdul Malek Ukil Hall and the adjacent pocket gate of the university. The journalists involved were Mahi Siddiqui Siam, NSTU correspondent for Manab Zamin, and Mehedi Hasan, the university correspondent for Protidiner Sangbad.
According to the allegations, several JCD activists confronted the journalists while they were recording the confrontation. The activists named in the allegations are Atik Hasan of the 17th cohort of the Department of Bangla, Tanvir Bhuiyan of the 18th cohort of the Department of Economics, Khan Mohammad Romman of the 19th cohort of the Department of Law, Faisal Hossain of the 18th cohort of the Department of Physics, and M K M Akram Khan of the 18th cohort of the Department of Agriculture.
Siam alleged that he was pushed and physically assaulted before being forced to hand over his mobile phone. He said the phone was unlocked against his will and footage recorded during the clash was deleted. He also alleged that the activists checked his social media and messaging applications to determine whether he had sent the footage to anyone.
The incident followed a confrontation between two groups of JCD activists inside Abdul Malek Ukil Hall. According to those familiar with the incident, supporters aligned with the organisation’s president and general secretary were involved in a confrontation with activists associated with the senior vice-president faction. The dispute reportedly escalated into chasing and counter-chasing inside and around the hall.
Journalists went to the area after hearing about the disturbance as part of their professional duties.
Siam said he initially went towards the roof of the hall after hearing sounds of fighting, shouting and heated exchanges. Shortly after his arrival, the lights reportedly went out. When he attempted to switch them back on, he alleged that Romman, a student of the 2019–20 academic session, and another person pushed him.
He later followed the groups as they moved towards the university’s pocket gate and began recording the events. Siam alleged that Romman, Atik, Tanvir and Faisal then surrounded him.
According to Siam, Romman pushed him and struck him on the hand and neck before demanding that he show his mobile phone. He alleged that although the phone was switched off, the group forced him to unlock it and deleted the recorded footage. They then examined applications on the device, he said, apparently to establish whether the footage had been shared elsewhere.
Siam further alleged that, after deleting the material, the individuals released him and told him not to report the incident.
Mehedi Hasan gave a similar account of being obstructed while covering the clash. He said he and Siam were filming the incident when JCD activist Faisal Hossain allegedly took their mobile phones and told them to stop recording. Faisal then allegedly pushed both journalists away from the scene.
The journalists have demanded a proper investigation into the incident and disciplinary action against anyone found responsible. Their allegations also raise concerns about the safety of reporters covering incidents involving student political groups on university campuses.
Nahidul Islam, president of the NSTU Journalists’ Association, said the two journalists were members of the organisation and had been subjected to an assault while carrying out their professional responsibilities. He said the association would submit a formal complaint to the university administration and called for an environment in which journalists could work without fear or intimidation.
Hasibul Hossain, general secretary of the NSTU unit of the JCD, said he was not aware of the incident or its details. He said he would look into the matter and provide further information after establishing what had happened.
NSTU Proctor Professor A F M Arifur Rahman said members of the hall provost body and the university administration had been informed. Security personnel, including Ansar members, had been instructed to remain alert, while a meeting of the proctorial body was being arranged.
The proctor also said he had spoken to the president of the university journalists’ association about the alleged harassment of the reporters. According to him, the university would take necessary action in accordance with its rules if a formal complaint was submitted.
The allegations have not yet been established through an independent investigation. Any disciplinary or organisational action would therefore depend on the findings of the university authorities and the relevant organisations.

