JU Blockade Withdrawn After Eight Hours

Students at Jahangirnagar University withdrew an eight-hour blockade programme demanding the arrest of the accused in an attempted rape case, swift judicial proceedings, and greater administrative accountability. However, the protesters stated that the lock placed on the university’s Proctor Office would remain in effect.

The blockade was formally withdrawn at 6:20 pm on Sunday after students unlocked the gates of the university’s new administrative building. Earlier in the day, at around 10:00 am, a group of female students from different departments had placed locks on the building’s two entrances, preventing officials and employees from entering or leaving.

The protest followed an alleged attempted rape incident involving a female student. According to the complaint, on 12 May at approximately 11:00 pm, the student was dragged from a road adjacent to the abandoned Fazilatunnesa Hall into a dark area, where the alleged assault attempt took place.

Following the incident, the university administration filed a case with Ashulia Police Station against an unidentified accused. Five days after the case was lodged, the suspect had not yet been identified or arrested.

The protesting students said the blockade was part of a pre-announced programme intended to pressure the administration into ensuring accountability and providing updated information on the case. During the blockade, no university officers or employees were allowed to enter or exit the building, leaving several staff members inside beyond official working hours.

At approximately 4:45 pm, Vice-Chancellor Mohammad Kamrul Ahsan met with the protesters and briefed them on the latest developments regarding both the police case and the university’s investigation committee.

After internal discussions, the students presented two additional demands to the Vice-Chancellor. They called for the investigation committee, formed by the university administration, to submit its report within three days instead of the previously announced seven-day deadline. They also demanded that the accused be identified within the next three days.

Witnesses stated that although these demands were communicated to the Vice-Chancellor, he did not provide a clear response. At the same time, tension reportedly rose among employees confined inside the building, prompting students to unlock the gates and end the blockade.

Lamisha Jaman, a History Department student and one of the protesters, said the purpose of the programme was primarily to ensure accountability from the administration and receive updated information on the case. She added that the Vice-Chancellor had informed students of progress regarding the suspect and discussions about shortening the investigation timeline.

Vice-Chancellor Mohammad Kamrul Ahsan said law enforcement agencies and other relevant state bodies were making maximum efforts to arrest the accused.

Key Developments

বিষয়তথ্য
Incident date12 May, 11:00 pm
Alleged incident locationRoad adjacent to abandoned Fazilatunnesa Hall
Blockade startSunday, 10:00 am
Blockade withdrawalSunday, 6:20 pm
Main demandsArrest of accused, speedy trial, administrative accountability
Investigation demandReport submission within 3 days instead of 7

The attempted rape case also triggered separate campus tensions. On Saturday, students protesting outside the Vice-Chancellor’s residence demanded the resignation of the Proctor. During an argument, a student from the 48th batch of the Anthropology Department reportedly referred to the Vice-Chancellor as a “fascist”.

In response, students from the Philosophy Department organised a protest march and human chain on Sunday in objection to the remark. The procession concluded at the base of the university’s Central Shaheed Minar.

Mohammad Ali Chishti, an executive member of the Jahangirnagar University Central Students’ Union, joined the human chain in solidarity and criticised the comment directed at the Vice-Chancellor.

Separately, leaders and activists of the university branch of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal also condemned the description of the Vice-Chancellor. In a statement signed by office secretary Abdullah Antor on Saturday night, the organisation expressed concern over the recent attempted rape and attempted murder incidents on campus while reiterating support for students’ justified movements. The statement also described the “fascist” remark as unfortunate, undesirable and condemnable.

Leave a Comment