Police have yet to arrest anyone three days after a murder case was filed over the deaths of five members of a family in Kapasia upazila of Gazipur. The case accuses homeowner Forkan Mia, 40, of killing his wife, three daughters and brother-in-law before fleeing. The case was filed at Kapasia Police Station on Saturday night, naming Forkan as the principal accused alongside three to four unidentified individuals.
The bodies were recovered on Saturday morning from a rented house in Rautkona village under Kapasia Sadar ইউনিয়ন. The deceased were identified as Sharmin Akter, 30, daughter of Shahadat Hossain Molla of Paikkandi Uttar Charpara village in Gopalganj Sadar; her daughters Mim Khanom, 15, Umme Habiba, 8, and two-year-old Faria; and her brother Rasul Mia, 22.
Forkan Mia’s home is in Meri Gopinathpur village of Gopalganj Sadar. He had reportedly lived with his family in the rented house in Kapasia for nearly five years and worked as a private car driver. Rasul Mia was employed at a factory in Gazipur Sadar.
Victims in the Kapasia Case
| Name | Age | Relationship |
|---|---|---|
| Sharmin Akter | 30 | Wife |
| Mim Khanom | 15 | Daughter |
| Umme Habiba | 8 | Daughter |
| Faria | 2 | Daughter |
| Rasul Mia | 22 | Brother-in-law |
Kapasia Police Station officer-in-charge Shahinur Alam said on Monday morning that the accused had not yet been arrested and that efforts were continuing with the assistance of information technology.
A major point of discussion surrounding the case has been the condition in which Sharmin Akter’s body was found. According to local residents, she was wearing a new sari, bangles and a necklace when her body was recovered. Several residents described the matter as unusual and said it should be examined during the investigation.
Local resident Mosa. Srabani said the presence of jewellery and new clothing on the victim raised questions requiring investigation. Another resident, Russell Mia, said photographs circulating on Facebook appeared to show Sharmin carefully dressed and wearing ornaments. He said investigators should determine whether the jewellery had been worn before the killings or placed later, and whether anyone else may have entered the house that night.
Sharmin and Rasul’s brother, Aroj Ali, told Prothom Alo that local people informed him Forkan had taken Sharmin and the children out earlier on the day of the killings. At the time, Sharmin was reportedly wearing a new sari and imitation gold jewellery. He alleged that the killings had been planned and said she was wearing the same clothes when her body was recovered.
Their father, Shahadat Hossain, said family members were not allowed inside the house by police after reaching the scene and therefore could not personally verify what Sharmin had been wearing. However, he said he had heard such accounts from local residents. He added that he believed the incident may have been staged in an attempt to divert attention after the killings.
Dr Mazharul Haque of the forensic department at Shaheed Tajuddin Ahmad Medical College Hospital said Sharmin had indeed been found wearing ornaments, though he did not have detailed information about the matter. He also described the injuries sustained by the victims. According to him, Rasul Mia appeared to have been attacked unexpectedly and had two deep wounds on his throat. The two-year-old child was believed to have been suffocated, while the eight-year-old had two injury marks on her neck. The eldest daughter suffered sharp weapon injuries to her throat, face and hands. Investigators believe she may have attempted to resist the attack.
Dr Haque further stated that stomach samples from the victims had been sent for examination to determine whether they had been given intoxicating substances. He added that no preliminary evidence of sexual assault on Sharmin had been found.
Sharmin’s aunt, Eva Akter, claimed that after the incident Forkan phoned his brother Mishkat and said: “Everything is finished. I have killed everyone. You will not find me anymore.” Relatives later went to the house and found the collapsible gate and rooms on the ground floor open before discovering the bodies. Police were then informed through the national emergency service 999.
Eva Akter also alleged that Forkan had informed Sharmin of his intention to marry again, which had caused tension between the couple. She said Forkan had physically assaulted Sharmin six to seven months earlier, after which she received treatment at a hospital in Dhaka and temporarily stayed at her father’s home before returning to her husband.
Investigators also recovered a typed copy of a complaint allegedly filed by Forkan Mia at a police station. The document, however, bore no signature. Gopalganj Sadar Police Station officer-in-charge Anisur Rahman said no such complaint or general diary had been filed there.
The document claimed that Forkan had filed the complaint on 3 May, accusing his wife, father-in-law and 11 others of taking Tk10 lakh from him in several instalments and alleging that his wife had been involved in an extramarital relationship with a relative. It further alleged that he had been tied up and tortured after protesting against the matter.
Sharmin’s uncle, Md Uzzal Mia, rejected those claims, saying the family was unaware of any recent visit by Forkan to his in-laws’ house or any assault on him. He said he believed the document had been prepared in an attempt to protect himself.
